CEREMONIALS - Phillip E. Apgar, Chairman
“Recruiters recruit to degrees” – a point made by Supreme in sessions attended by our Membership Director. We strongly encourage each District Deputy to either schedule and host one First Degree each month in his District, or participate in a Degree hosted nearby. Each District should strive to be recruitment active every month. If every District was recruitment active with an average of three per District each month, Texas would absolutely have IT’s BEST YEAR YET! This is important from a recruiting perspective, also to provide Councils nearby ample opportunity to bring their candidates to degrees as soon as possible after their Form 100 applications are approved by their Councils. Please ensure candidates are escorted to a degree, that the escort has the candidates properly completed Form 100 and the First Degree Kit for the Candidate. Unescorted candidates put the Degree Teams in a very uncomfortable spot when we are trying to be welcoming to new members but none of the necessary paperwork is complete and no one is available who knows the candidate.
First Degree Honorees
When conducting First Degrees, the exemplification should be dedicated in honor or in memory of our clergy. The following recommendations are:
• July and August - Venerable Father Michael J. McGivney
• September and October - Supreme Chaplain
• November and December - Council Chaplain
• January and February - Parish Pastors and All Clergy
• March and April - Pope Francis
• May and June – Bishops
Major Degree Request
1. Contact the Captain of the Major Degree Team that you prefer to conduct the degree, and mutually agree on an acceptable date. If necessary in your Diocese, get the approval of the Diocesan Deputy prior to contacting the Captain of the Major Degree team.
2. Contact the Grand Knight of the council that will host the Major Degree and be sure the facilities are adequate to host a Major Degree. Also make sure that the Grand Knight and Financial Secretary of the council is aware of the cost of the Major Degree. The Captain of the Degree Team should verify the team expense prior to the actual exemplification.
3. Fill out a Major Degree Request Form and mail it to Ceremonials Chairman Phil Apgar, 2908 Stanford Drive, Flower Mound, TX 75022, or scan a completed form and attach it to an email and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org .
4. If necessary, contact the Ceremonials Chairman for assistance when filling out the Major Degree Request Form.
5. A sample of a completed Major Degree Request Form is available upon request from the Ceremonials Chairman.
6. Candidates must be identified with a ribbon or self-adhesive nametag. Third Degree members are not permitted to mingle with the candidates at any time prior or during the degrees.
7. For an exemplification that requires the Major Degree Team to stay overnight, the host District Deputy and the host Council are responsible for the team’s supper during the evening prior to the day of the Major, breakfast on the day of the Major Degree, and a meal following the Major Degree.
8. Contact the Conferring Officer approximately two weeks before a Major Degree with questions or needed directions.
9. Contact the Degree Team Captain for questions or needed directions.
10. Invite the local Color Corps in full regalia to participate in the Mass prior to the Major Degree.
11. Complete and submit Form 450-NC to the State Council Ceremonials Chairman Phil Apgar and to the Supreme Council Ceremonials Director, or scan a completed form and attach it to an email and email it to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Each council will need to order a “Membership Medallion” for each of their candidates. (Supreme #30630 for English, Supreme #30632 for Spanish)
In This Section
2016-2017 Star Guide
- Message From The Membership Director
- Membership Team
- Membership Vision
- Council Membership Director Lead
- Building Our Future
- Membership Tracking / 365 / All Councils Active
- Membership Retention
- Ceremonial Program Personnel
- "Father Wants You" Letter
- Fourth Degree - Patriotism
- 18 Year Old Recruitment
- Membership Awards 2016-2017
- Membership Monthly Themes 2016-2017
- Council Growth
- Star Councils Awards
- Education, Training & Communications
- Football Sweepstakes