I would like to thank the following Brother Knights for serving on the Good of the Order Committee. As I call your name, please rise and be recognized.
Tom Clark, State Culture of Life Chairman
Andrew Cooke, Grand Knight Council 7975
Timothy Kolbe, Grand Knight Council 4183
Martin Ochs, Grand Knight Council 10836
Donald Quintero, Grand Knight Council 17060
Matthew Scott, Grand Knight Council 12955
Aubrey Semien, Grand Knight Council1 15017
Russell Woodford, Grand Knight Council 17304
Thank you brothers.
The Good of the Order’s purpose is to focus our Catholic values and aid brothers and provide areas of prayer to your councils. The Good of the Order Report will also be posted on the TSC website as a download.
I now call upon our Worthy State Culture of Life Chairman, Brother Tom Clark, who for 20 years has led the Good of the Order, to present the Good of the Order Report and make a Motion.
Good of the Order Report
Under the continued Solidarity with our Priests, Seminarians and Religious:
- Continued prayers for, and support in solidarity with, our Holy Father, Pope Francis, the Cardinals, Bishops, Priests, Deacons, Religious and Seminarians.
- Each Council to add the Holy Father’s intentions to their Council’s prayer list and to list these intentions at their meetings as published in the Columbia magazine.
- Continued support for our Council and Chapter Chaplains and our Assembly Friars, to include hosting a Diocesan wide clergy and religious appreciation event every year.
- Continued support for the Canonization of Blessed Father Michael J. McGivney with prayers and by enrolling in the Fr. McGivney Guild, to report any favors received to the Guild and to invoke his blessings upon each Council during their opening or closing prayers.
- All Councils to consider purchasing an annuity for each of their Parish Priests, and to add to the annuity yearly, to help provide for their future needs including the purchase of a Cardinal Medeiros Fellowship for their priests.
- All members to support infirmed and retired Priests through continuous participation in the Texas Knights of Columbus License Plate Program.
- Councils to remember our Priests when choosing a council Knight of the Month or Knight of the Year and to remember them for the new State Award for Chaplain of the Year.
- All Councils to continue prayerful and monetary support of our Seminarians and all Religious Vocations, through increased participation in the RSVP program to ensure that every seminarian or religious is supported and never needs to leave due to financial concerns.
Under the continued Support of our Country and Patriotism:
- Continued support and prayers for our elected officials, public servants, our military service members and their families, law enforcement and first responders, especially during these challenging times.
- Members and their families to vote consistently with the teachings of the Church in every election, and to encourage others to register and vote by holding voter registration and “get out the vote” drives.
- Support for all efforts to keep “… under God” in the US Pledge of Allegiance and the Texas Pledge of Allegiance.
- Awareness of the need for spiritual and medical support for all of our active military and veterans, and to volunteer in and support the USO, VA and Texas Veterans’ Homes, VA hospitals and VA cemetery ministries.
- All Knights to become informed on the issues concerning the protection of religious liberty and participate as faithful citizens in events that demonstrate our faith.
- All Councils to participate in the Shield a Badge with a Prayer Program.
- All Knights to become 4th Degree members of our Order and to encourage all Assemblies to assist, as needed, any brother seeking the 4th Degree.
- All Knights to display a US flag at their home and/or business and to ensure that the flag is properly exhibited per flag etiquette in all public circumstances.
Under the continued Support for the Right to Life:
- Support for Life in all of its stages and the promotion of the sanctity of life.
- Continued support for the Diocesan Right to Life Committees, Gabriel Project, Project Rachel, the Supreme Ultrasound Initiative, and all other Pro-Life efforts in words, prayers, and monetary support.
- Council participation in the running of the Silver Rose across Texas as Pro-Life event.
- All members to strive to earn the Texas State Council ACE Wings for Pro Life activities and Councils to consider our Priests, Deacons and Religious for the Texas State Council ACE Wings.
- All Councils to promote, support and attend local 40 Days for Life Campaigns, and other prayerful witness events for life especially the Texas Rally for Life held in Austin each January.
- Encourage each Council to support local Pregnancy Resource Centers, Maternity Homes and other Pro-Life ministries through Council efforts and the ASAP Program.
- All Councils to Pray three Hail Mary’s at all Council functions to promote the growth of the Culture of Life. The first Hail Mary for the Unborn, the second is for the mom to choose life, and the third is for the abortionist to turn away from their sins
Under Continued support for Columbianism in Texas and the Order:
- All members to contribute to the KofC Ukraine Solidarity Fund, to remain informed on how to help and to pray for the end of the conflict.
- All Councils to participate in at least two membership drives each year, and each Brother Knight to ask at least one other Catholic gentleman each year to become a member of our Order.
- Each Brother Knight to call or visit members and their families in their local Councils that are sick or in distress.
- Councils to maintain an active retention committee and to reach out to brothers rarely seen and to reach out to widows of deceased brothers to ensure they are well.
- Councils to remember our deceased Brother Knights at an annual memorial Mass and to invite the widows and families of deceased Brother Knights to major Council activities.
- Councils to increase Round Table participation with unserved parishes in their area.
- Each Brother Knight to take advantage of the Knights of Columbus Insurance Program and to discuss protection for his family with a local Field Agent.
- Council officers to promote and participate in leadership development opportunities to ensure the success and growth of their council and the Order.
- All Councils to request each member wear his name badge, Council shirt, or 3rd Degree Emblem pin to Mass each Sunday in order increase visibility of the Knights in the parish.
- All Councils to actively reach out to Parish young adult groups and RCIA to introduce them to the Order and to support local college councils.
- All current first-degree members to strive to advance to full knighthood and for Councils to increase council membership through E-membership.
Under Support for personal spiritual growth:
- A renewed dedication to our Lord Jesus Christ and His Most Blessed Mother.
- All Brother Knights to reflect their reverence for our Lord in the Eucharist by dressing appropriately for Mass and encouraging others to do the same.
- All members to add an hour of Adoration to their current practice.
- All members to become consecrated to our Blessed Mother.
- Brother Knights to participate in Liturgical Parish Ministries.
- Councils to increase efforts to Keep Christ in Christmas through special programs during Advent and the holy Christmas season.
- Councils to support the sacrament of marriage and promotion of the family – based on marriage between one man and one woman – as the first and fundamental unit of society and a sanctuary for the creation and nurturing of children
- All knights to attend a spiritual retreat in order to increase their faith life and to consider going on a pilgrimage.
- Councils to begin having Evangelization Faith Formation events at the parish and to invite the entire parish to participate.
- Councils to sponsor a Living Rosary, Holy Hour, Into the breach Bible Study, and other events that make up the Faith and Action Program with our Parish family.
- All members to renew their promise to carry their rosary always and to pray it as often as they can.